Pronunciation: (wē'pur), [key]
1. a person who weeps.
2. (formerly) a hired mourner at a funeral.
3. something worn as a badge of mourning, as a widow's black veil.
4. a wine bottle that has lost some of its contents through the cork.
5. any of various loose-hanging, streamerlike objects, as a long, hanging hatband or a strand of moss hanging from a tree.
6. Informal.a sad story, motion picture, song, or the like, that is apt to make one cry.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.