Pronunciation: (wā), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/weigh.html on line 77 [key]
1. to determine or ascertain the force that gravitation exerts upon (a person or thing) by use of a balance, scale, or other mechanical device: to weigh oneself; to weigh potatoes; to weigh gases.
2. to hold up or balance, as in the hand, in order to estimate the weight.
3. to measure, separate, or apportion (a certain quantity of something) according to weight (usually fol. by out): to weigh out five pounds of sugar.
4. to make heavy; increase the weight or bulk of; weight: We weighed the drapes to make them hang properly.
5. to evaluate in the mind; consider carefully in order to reach an opinion, decision, or choice: to weigh the facts; to weigh a proposal.
6. Archaic.to raise, lift, or hoist (something).
7. Obs.to think important; esteem.
1. to have weight or a specified amount of weight: to weigh less; to weigh a ton.
2. to have importance, moment, or consequence: Your recommendation weighs heavily in his favor.
3. to bear down as a weight or burden (usually fol. by on or upon): Responsibility weighed upon her.
4. to consider carefully or judicially: to weigh well before deciding.
5. (of a ship) to raise the anchor and get under way: The ship weighed early and escaped in the fog.
6. weigh anchor, Naut.to heave up a ship's anchor in preparation for getting under way.
7. weigh down,
a. to cause to become bowed under a weight: snow and ice weighing down the trees.
b. to lower the spirits of; burden; depress: This predicament weighs me down.
8. weigh in, Sports.
a. (of a boxer or wrestler) to be weighed by a medical examiner on the day of a bout.
b. to be of the weight determined by such a weighing: He weighed in at 170 pounds.
c. (of a jockey) to be weighed with the saddle and weights after a race.
9. weigh one's words. See word (def. 26).
10. weigh out, Horse Racing.(of a jockey)
a. to be weighed with the saddle and weights before a race.
b. to be of the weight determined by such a weighing.
Pronunciation: (wā), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/weigh.html on line 234 [key]
under weigh, Naut.in motion; under way.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.