Pronunciation: (hwīt'hôl", wīt'-), [key]
1. Also called White'hall Pal'ace. a former palace in central London, England, originally built in the reign of Henry III: execution of Charles I, 1649.
2. the main thoroughfare in London, England, between Trafalgar Square and the Houses of Parliament.
3. the British government or its policies.
4. a city in central Ohio, near Columbus. 21,299.
5. a city in W Pennsylvania, near Pittsburgh. 15,206.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.