Pronunciation: (hwīt'wosh", -wôsh", wīt'-), [key]
1. a composition, as of lime and water or of whiting, size, and water, used for whitening walls, woodwork, etc.
2. anything, as deceptive words or actions, used to cover up or gloss over faults, errors, or wrongdoings, or absolve a wrongdoer from blame.
3. Sports Informal.a defeat in which the loser fails to score.
1. to whiten with whitewash.
2. to cover up or gloss over the faults or errors of; absolve from blame.
3. Sports Informal.to defeat by keeping the opponent from scoring: The home team whitewashed the visitors eight to nothing.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.