Pronunciation: (win'ches"tur, -chu-stur), [key]
1. a city in Hampshire, in S England: cathedral; capital of the early Wessex kingdom and of medieval England. 88,700.
2. a town in E Massachusetts, near Boston. 20,701.
3. a city in N Virginia: Civil War battles 1862, 1864. 20,217.
4. a city in E central Kentucky. 15,216.
5. a town in NW Connecticut. 10,841.
6. See Winchester rifle.
7. Computers.See Winchester disk.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.