Pronunciation: (win'tur-grēn"), [key]
1. Also called checkerberry. a small, creeping, evergreen shrub, Gaultheria procumbens, of the heath family, common in eastern North America, having white, nodding, bell-shaped flowers, a bright-red, berrylike fruit, and aromatic leaves that yield a volatile oil.
2. the oil of this shrub; wintergreen oil; methyl salicylate.
3. the flavor of oil of wintergreen or something flavored with it.
4. any of various other plants of the same genus.
5. any of various small evergreen herbs of the genera Pyrola and Chimaphila.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.