Pronunciation: (wisp), [key]
1. a handful or small bundle of straw, hay, or the like.
2. any thin tuft, lock, mass, etc.: wisps of hair.
3. a thin puff or streak, as of smoke; slender trace.
4. a person or thing that is small, delicate, or barely discernible: a mere wisp of a lad; a wisp of a frown.
5. a whisk broom.
6. Chiefly Brit. Dial.
a. a pad or twist of straw, as used to rub down a horse.
b. a twisted bit of straw used as a torch.
7. a will-o'-the-wisp or ignis fatuus.
to twist into a wisp.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.