Pronunciation: (wich), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/witch.html on line 75 [key]
1. a person, now esp. a woman, who professes or is supposed to practice magic, esp. black magic or the black art; sorceress. Cf. warlock.
2. an ugly or mean old woman; hag: the old witch who used to own this building.
3. a person who uses a divining rod; dowser.
1. to bring by or as by witchcraft (often fol. by into, to, etc.): She witched him into going.
2. Archaic.to affect as if by witchcraft; bewitch; charm.
to prospect with a divining rod; dowse.
of, pertaining to, or designed as protection against witches.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.