Pronunciation: (wOO), [key]
1. to seek the favor, affection, or love of, esp. with a view to marriage.
2. to seek to win: to woo fame.
3. to invite (consequences, whether good or bad) by one's own action; court: to woo one's own destruction.
4. to seek to persuade (a person, group, etc.), as to do something; solicit; importune.
1. to make love to a woman; court: He went wooing.
2. to solicit favor or approval; entreat: Further attempts to woo proved useless.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.