Pronunciation: (wûrst), [key]
—adj., superlative of bad and ill.
1. bad or ill in the highest, greatest, or most extreme degree: the worst person.
2. most faulty, unsatisfactory, or objectionable: the worst paper submitted.
3. most unfavorable or injurious.
4. in the poorest condition: the worst house on the block.
5. most unpleasant, unattractive, or disagreeable: the worst personality I've ever known.
6. most lacking in skill; least skilled: the worst typist in the group.
7. in the worst way, Informal.in an extreme degree; very much: She wanted a new robe for Christmas in the worst way. Also,the worst way.
1. that which is worst.
2. at worst, if the worst happens; under the worst conditions: He will be expelled from school, at worst. Also,at the worst.
3. get the worst of something, to be defeated by; lose: to get the worst of a fight.
4. if worst comes to worst, if the very worst happens: If worst comes to worst, we still have some money in reserve.
1. in the most evil, wicked, severe, or disadvantageous manner.
2. with the most severity, intensity, etc.; in the greatest degree.
to defeat; beat: He worsted him easily.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.