Pronunciation: (rī'tur), [key]
1. a person engaged in writing books, articles, stories, etc., esp. as an occupation or profession; an author or journalist.
2. a clerk, scribe, or the like.
3. a person who commits his or her thoughts, ideas, etc., to writing: an expert letter writer.
4. (in a piece of writing) the author (used as a circumlocution for “I,” “me,” “my,” etc.): The writer wishes to state… .
5. a person who writes or is able to write: a writer in script.
6. Stock Exchange.someone who sells options.
7. Scot.a lawyer or solicitor.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.