Pronunciation: (yō'mun), [key]
—n., pl. -men,
1. a petty officer in a navy, having chiefly clerical duties in the U.S. Navy.
2. Brit.a farmer who cultivates his own land.
3. Hist.one of a class of lesser freeholders, below the gentry, who cultivated their own land, early admitted in England to political rights.
a. a servant, attendant, or subordinate official in a royal or other great household.
b. a subordinate or assistant, as of a sheriff or other official or in a craft or trade.
1. of, pertaining to, composed of, or characteristic of yeomen: the yeoman class.
2. performed or rendered in a loyal, valiant, useful, or workmanlike manner, esp. in situations that involve a great deal of effort or labor: He did a yeoman job on the problem.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.