Pronunciation: (yôrk), [key]
1. a member of the royal house of England that ruled from 1461 to 1485.
2. 1st Duke of (Edmund of Langley), 1341–1402, progenitor of the house of York (son of Edward III).
3. Alvin Cul•lum Pronunciation: (kul'um) [key] (Sergeant), 1887–1964, U.S. soldier.
4. Yorkshire (def. 1).
5. Ancient, Eboracum. a city in North Yorkshire, in NE England, on the Ouse: the capital of Roman Britain; cathedral. 102,700.
6. a city in SE Pennsylvania: meeting of the Continental Congress 1777–78. 44,619.
7. an estuary in E Virginia, flowing SE into Chesapeake Bay. 40 mi. (64 km) long.
8. Cape, a cape at the NE extremity of Australia.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.