Pronunciation: (u-flōt'), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/afloat.html on line 73 [key]
1. floating or borne on the water; in a floating condition: The ship was set afloat.
2. on board a ship, boat, raft, etc.; at sea: cargo afloat and ashore.
3. covered with water; flooded; awash: The main deck was afloat.
4. moving without being guided or controlled; drifting.
5. passing from place to place; in circulation: A rumor is afloat.
6. free of major trouble, esp. financially solvent: to keep a venture afloat.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.