1. a substance composed of two or more metals, or of a metal or metals with a nonmetal, intimately mixed, as by fusion or electrodeposition.
2. a less costly metal mixed with a more valuable one.
3. standard; quality; fineness.
4. admixture, as of good with evil.
5. anything added that serves to reduce quality or purity.
1. to mix (metals or metal with nonmetal) so as to form an alloy.
2. to reduce in value by an admixture of a less costly metal.
3. to debase, impair, or reduce by admixture; adulterate.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.