Pronunciation: (am"plu-fi-kā'shun), [key]
1. the act of amplifying or the state of being amplified.
2. expansion of a statement, narrative, etc., as for rhetorical purposes: In the revision, the story underwent considerable amplification.
3. a statement, narrative, etc., so expanded: The text of the second edition was an amplification.
4. the matter or substance used to expand an idea, statement, or the like: He added an extra paragraph to his speech as an amplification.
5. Elect.increase in the strength of current, voltage, or power.
6. Genetics.See gene amplification.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.