Pronunciation: (an'vil), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/anvil.html on line 71 [key]
1. a heavy iron block with a smooth face, frequently of steel, on which metals, usually heated until soft, are hammered into desired shapes.
2. anything having a similar form or use.
3. the fixed jaw in certain measuring instruments.
4. Also called an'vil cloud", an'vil top". Meteorol.incus (def. 2).
5. a musical percussion instrument having steel bars that are struck with a wooden or metal beater.
6. Anat.incus (def. 1).
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.