Pronunciation: (u-pok'u-lips), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/apocalypse.html on line 75 [key]
1. (cap.) revelation (def. 4).
2. any of a class of Jewish or Christian writings that appeared from about 200 b.c. to a.d. 350 and were assumed to make revelations of the ultimate divine purpose.
3. a prophetic revelation, esp. concerning a cataclysm in which the forces of good permanently triumph over the forces of evil.
4. any revelation or prophecy.
5. any universal or widespread destruction or disaster: the apocalypse of nuclear war.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.