Pronunciation: (är'mur), [key]
1. any covering worn as a defense against weapons.
2. a suit of armor.
3. a metallic sheathing or protective covering, esp. metal plates, used on warships, armored vehicles, airplanes, and fortifications.
4. mechanized units of military forces, as armored divisions.
5. Also called armament. any protective covering, as on certain animals, insects, or plants.
6. any quality, characteristic, situation, or thing that serves as protection: A chilling courtesy was his only armor.
7. the outer, protective wrapping of metal, usually fine, braided steel wires, on a cable.
to cover or equip with armor or armor plate. Also, esp. Brit.,armour.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.