Pronunciation: (ash), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/ash.html on line 79 [key]
1. the powdery residue of matter that remains after burning.
2. Also called volcanic ash. Geol.finely pulverized lava thrown out by a volcano in eruption.
3. a light, silvery-gray color.
a. deathlike grayness; extreme pallor suggestive of death.
b. ruins, esp. the residue of something destroyed; remains; vestiges: the ashes of their love; the ashes of the past.
c. mortal remains, esp. the physical or corporeal body as liable to decay.
d. anything, as an act, gesture, speech, or feeling, that is symbolic of penance, regret, remorse, or the like.
Pronunciation: (ash), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/ash.html on line 133 [key]
1. any of various trees of the genus Fraxinus, of the olive family, esp. F. excelsior, of Europe and Asia, or F. americana (white ash), of North America, having opposite, pinnate leaves and purplish flowers in small clusters.
2. the tough, straight-grained wood of any of these trees, valued as timber.
3. Also,æsc.the symbol “æ.”
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.