Pronunciation: (ask, äsk), [key]
1. to put a question to; inquire of: I asked him but he didn't answer.
2. to request information about: to ask the way.
3. to try to get by using words; request: to ask advice; to ask a favor.
4. to solicit from; request of: Could I ask you a favor? Ask her for advice.
5. to demand; expect: What price are they asking? A little silence is all I ask.
6. to set a price of: to ask $20 for the hat.
7. to call for; need; require: This experiment asks patience.
8. to invite: to ask guests to dinner.
9. Archaic.to publish (banns).
1. to make inquiry; inquire: to ask about a person.
2. to request or petition (usually fol. by for): to ask for leniency; to ask for food.
3. ask for it, to risk or invite trouble, danger, punishment, etc., by persisting in some action or manner: He was asking for it by his abusive remarks.
Pronunciation: (äsk), [key]
—n. Scand. Myth.
the first man, made by the gods from an ash tree.Cf. Embla.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.