Pronunciation: (u-sist'), [key]
1. to give support or aid to; help: Please assist him in moving the furniture.
2. to be associated with as an assistant or helper.
1. to give aid or help.
2. to be present, as at a meeting or ceremony.
a. Baseball.a play that helps to put out a batter or base runner.
b. Basketball, Ice Hockey. a play that helps a teammate in gaining a goal.
c. the official credit scored for such plays.
2. a helpful act: She finished her homework without an assist from her father.
3. Mach.an electrical, hydraulic, or mechanical means of increasing power, efficiency, or ease of use: a luxury automobile equipped with assists for brakes, steering, windows, and seat adjustment.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.