Pronunciation: (u-sis'tunt), [key]
1. a person who assists or gives aid and support; helper.
2. a person who is subordinate to another in rank, function, etc.; one holding a secondary rank in an office or post: He was assistant to the office manager.
3. something that aids and supplements another.
4. a faculty member of a college or university who ranks below an instructor and whose responsibilities usually include grading papers, supervising laboratories, and assisting in teaching.
1. assisting; helpful.
2. serving in an immediately subordinate position; of secondary rank: an assistant coach.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.