Pronunciation: (u-thwôrt'), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/athwart.html on line 73 [key]
1. from side to side; crosswise.
a. at right angles to the fore-and-aft line; across.
b. broadside to the wind because of equal and opposite pressures of wind and tide: a ship riding athwart.
3. perversely; awry; wrongly.
1. from side to side of; across.
2. Naut.across the direction or course of.
3. in opposition to; contrary to.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.