—adj.u-ten'yOO-it, -āt"), [key]
—v., -at•ed, -at•ing,
1. to weaken or reduce in force, intensity, effect, quantity, or value: to attenuate desire.
2. to make thin; make slender or fine.
3. Bacteriol., Immunol.to render less virulent, as a strain of pathogenic virus or bacterium.
4. Electronics.to decrease the amplitude of (an electronic signal).
to become thin or fine; lessen.
1. weakened; diminishing.
2. Bot.tapering gradually to a narrow extremity.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.