Pronunciation: (u-vāl'), [key]
to be of use or value to; profit; advantage: All our efforts availed us little in trying to effect a change.
1. to be of use; have force or efficacy; serve; help: His strength did not avail against the hostile onslaught.
2. to be of value or profit.
3. avail oneself of, to use to one's advantage: They availed themselves of the opportunity to hear a free concert.
1. advantage; use; efficacy; effective use in the achievement of a goal or objective: His belated help will be of little or no avail.
2. avails, Archaic.profits or proceeds.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.