Pronunciation: (ôk'wurd), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/awkward.html on line 77 [key]
1. lacking skill or dexterity; clumsy.
2. lacking grace or ease in movement: an awkward gesture; an awkward dancer.
3. lacking social graces or manners: a simple, awkward frontiersman.
4. not well planned or designed for easy or effective use: an awkward instrument; an awkward method.
5. requiring caution; somewhat hazardous; dangerous: an awkward turn in the road.
6. hard to deal with; difficult; requiring skill, tact, or the like: an awkward situation; an awkward customer.
7. embarrassing or inconvenient; caused by lack of social grace: an awkward moment
8. Obs.untoward; perverse.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.