Pronunciation: (baf'ul), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/baffle.html on line 83 [key]
—v., -fled, -fling,
1. to confuse, bewilder, or perplex: He was baffled by the technical language of the instructions.
2. to frustrate or confound; thwart by creating confusion or bewilderment.
3. to check or deflect the movement of (sound, light, fluids, etc.).
4. to equip with a baffle or baffles.
5. Obs.to cheat; trick.
to struggle ineffectually, as a ship in a gale.
1. something that balks, checks, or deflects.
2. an artificial obstruction for checking or deflecting the flow of gases (as in a boiler), sounds (as in the loudspeaker system of a radio or hi-fi set), light (as in a darkroom), etc.
3. any boxlike enclosure or flat panel for mounting a loudspeaker.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.