Pronunciation: (bāk), [key]
—v., baked, bak•ing,
1. to cook by dry heat in an oven or on heated metal or stones.
2. to harden by heat: to bake pottery in a kiln.
3. to dry by, or subject to heat: The sun baked the land.
1. to bake bread, a casserole, etc.
2. to become baked: The cake will bake in about half an hour.
3. to be subjected to heat: The lizard baked on the hot rocks.
1. a social occasion at which the chief food is baked.
2. Scot.cracker (def. 1).
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.