Pronunciation: (ba-lā', bal'ā), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/ballet.html on line 75 [key]
1. a classical dance form demanding grace and precision and employing formalized steps and gestures set in intricate, flowing patterns to create expression through movement.
2. a theatrical entertainment in which ballet dancing and music, often with scenery and costumes, combine to tell a story, establish an emotional atmosphere, etc.
3. an interlude of ballet in an operatic performance.
4. a company of ballet dancers.
5. the musical score for a ballet: the brilliant ballets of Tchaikovsky.
6. a dance or balletlike performance: an ice-skating ballet.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.