Pronunciation: (bäm), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/balm.html on line 75 [key]
1. any of various oily, fragrant, resinous substances, often of medicinal value, exuding from certain plants, esp. tropical trees of the genus Commiphora.
2. a plant or tree yielding such a substance.
3. any aromatic or fragrant ointment.
4. aromatic fragrance; sweet odor: the balm of orange blossoms.
5. any of various aromatic plants of the mint family, esp. those of the genus Melissa, as M. officinalis (lemon balm), having ovate lemon-scented leaves used as a seasoning.
6. anything that heals, soothes, or mitigates pain: the balm of friendship in troubled times.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.