Pronunciation: (bat'u-rē), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/battery.html on line 75 [key]
a. Also called galvanic battery, voltaic battery. a combination of two or more cells electrically connected to work together to produce electric energy.
b. cell (def. 7a).
2. any large group or series of related things: a battery of questions.
a. two or more pieces of artillery used for combined action.
b. a tactical unit of artillery, usually consisting of six guns together with the artillerymen, equipment, etc., required to operate them.
c. a parapet or fortification equipped with artillery.
4. a group or series of similar articles, machines, parts, etc.
5. Baseball.the pitcher and catcher considered as a unit.
a. (on a warship) a group of guns having the same caliber or used for the same purpose.
b. the whole armament of a warship.
7. Psychol.a series of tests yielding a single total score, used for measuring aptitude, intelligence, personality, etc.
8. the act of beating or battering.
9. Law.an unlawful attack upon another person by beating or wounding, or by touching in an offensive manner.
10. an instrument used in battering.
11. Also,batterie. Music.the instruments comprising the percussion section of an orchestra.
12. any imposing group of persons or things acting or directed in unison: a battery of experts.
Pronunciation: (bat'u-rē), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/battery.html on line 193 [key]
The, a park at the S end of Manhattan, in New York City. Also called Bat'tery Park'.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.