Pronunciation: (bē'tur), [key]
1. a person or thing that beats.
2. an implement or device for beating something: a rug beater.
3. Hunting.a person who rouses or drives game from cover.
4. Papermaking.a machine for beating half-stuff to pulp by separating and shortening the fibers to produce a gelatinous mass.
5. Textiles.the reed.
6. Newfoundland.a young seal, usually a month to six weeks old, having completely or almost completely shed its initial white fur.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.