Pronunciation: (byOO'tu-ful), [key]
1. having beauty; having qualities that give great pleasure or satisfaction to see, hear, think about, etc.; delighting the senses or mind: a beautiful dress; a beautiful speech.
2. excellent of its kind: a beautiful putt on the seventh hole; The chef served us a beautiful roast of beef.
3. wonderful; very pleasing or satisfying.
1. the concept of beauty (usually prec. by the).
2. (used with a pl. v.) beautiful things or people collectively (usually prec. by the): the good and the beautiful.
3. the ideal of beauty (usually prec. by the): to strive to attain the beautiful.
1. wonderful; fantastic: You got two front-row seats? Beautiful!
2. extraordinary; incredible: used ironically: Your car broke down in the middle of the freeway? Beautiful!
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.