Pronunciation: (beg'ur), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/beggar.html on line 75 [key]
1. a person who begs alms or lives by begging.
2. a penniless person.
3. a wretched fellow; rogue: the surly beggar who collects the rents.
4. a child or youngster (usually prec. by little): a sudden urge to hug the little beggar.
1. to reduce to utter poverty; impoverish: The family had been beggared by the war.
2. to cause one's resources of or ability for (description, comparison, etc.) to seem poor or inadequate: The costume beggars description.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.