Pronunciation: (bril'yunt), [key]
1. shining brightly; sparkling; glittering; lustrous: the brilliant lights of the city.
2. distinguished; illustrious: a brilliant performance by a young pianist.
3. having or showing great intelligence, talent, quality, etc.: a brilliant technician.
4. strong and clear in tone; vivid; bright: brilliant blues and greens; the brilliant sound of the trumpets.
5. splendid or magnificent: a brilliant social event.
1. Jewelry.a gem, esp. a diamond, having any of several varieties of the brilliant cut.
2. Print.a size of type about 3½-point.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.