Pronunciation: (brOOz), [key]
—v., bruised, bruis•ing,
1. to injure by striking or pressing, without breaking the skin: The blow bruised his arm. Her pinching bruised the peaches.
2. to injure or hurt slightly, as with an insult or unkind remark: to bruise a person's feelings.
3. to crush (drugs or food) by beating or pounding.
4. Metalworking.to injure the surface of (an ingot or finished object) by collision.
1. to develop or bear a discolored spot on the skin as the result of a blow, fall, etc.
2. to become injured slightly: His feelings bruise easily.
an injury due to bruising; contusion.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.