Pronunciation: (bool'dôg", -dog"), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/bulldog.html on line 75 [key]
—n., adj., v., -dogged, -dog•ging.
1. one of an English breed of medium-sized, short-haired, muscular dogs with prominent, undershot jaws, usually having a white and tan or brindled coat, raised originally for bullbaiting.
2. Informal.a stubbornly persistent person.
3. a short-barreled revolver of large caliber.
4. Metall.slag from a puddling furnace.
5. an assistant to the proctor at Oxford and Cambridge universities.
like or characteristic of a bulldog or of a bulldog's jaws: bulldog obstinacy.
1. to attack in the manner of a bulldog.
2. Western U.S.to throw (a calf, steer, etc.) to the ground by seizing the horns and twisting the head.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.