Pronunciation: (bool'ē), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/bully.html on line 75 [key]
—n., pl. -lies,
—v., -lied, -ly•ing,
1. a blustering, quarrelsome, overbearing person who habitually badgers and intimidates smaller or weaker people.
2. Archaic.a man hired to do violence.
3. Obs.a pimp; procurer.
4. Obs.good friend; good fellow.
5. Obs.sweetheart; darling.
to act the bully toward; intimidate; domineer.
to be loudly arrogant and overbearing.
1. Informal.fine; excellent; very good.
2. dashing; jovial; high-spirited.
Informal.good! well done!
Pronunciation: (bool'ē), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/bully.html on line 150 [key]
1. Soccer.a desperate, freewheeling scramble for the ball by a number of players, usually in the goal area.
2. Field Hockey.a method of putting the ball into play in which two opponents, facing each other, tap their sticks on the ground near the ball and then make contact with each other's sticks over the ball three times, after which each tries to gain possession of the ball.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.