Pronunciation: (kan'un-bôl"), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/cannonball.html on line 73 [key]
—n. Also,can'non ball".
1. a missile, usually round and made of iron or steel, designed to be fired from a cannon.
2. Tennis.a served ball that travels with great speed and describes little or no arc in flight.
3. anything that moves with great speed, as an express train.
1. made from a curled-up position with the arms pressing the knees against one's chest: a cannonball dive.
2. moving at great speed: a train known as a cannonball express.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.