Pronunciation: (chek'out"), [key]
1. the procedure of vacating and paying for one's quarters at a hotel.
2. the time before which a hotel room must be vacated if another day's charge is not to be made.
3. an examination of fitness for performance: The checkout of the new plane was successful.
4. a series of sequential actions to familiarize oneself with new equipment.
5. itemization and collection of amounts due for purchases.
6. Also called check'out count"er. a counter where customers pay for purchases: The supermarket has five checkouts. Also,check'-out".
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.