Pronunciation: (kloi'stur), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/cloister.html on line 77 [key]
1. a covered walk, esp. in a religious institution, having an open arcade or colonnade usually opening onto a courtyard.
2. a courtyard, esp. in a religious institution, bordered with such walks.
3. a place of religious seclusion, as a monastery or convent.
4. any quiet, secluded place.
5. life in a monastery or convent.
1. to confine in a monastery or convent.
2. to confine in retirement; seclude.
3. to furnish with a cloister or covered walk.
4. to convert into a monastery or convent.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.