Pronunciation: (kum-pärt'munt), [key]
1. a part or space marked or partitioned off.
2. a separate room, section, etc.: a baggage compartment.
3. U.S. Railroads.a private bedroom with toilet facilities.
4. a separate aspect, function, or the like: the compartments of the human mind.
5. Archit.a distinct major division of a design.
6. Heraldry.a decorative base, as a grassy mound, on which the supporters of an escutcheon stand or rest.
to divide into compartments.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.