Pronunciation: (kom"pi-tish'un), [key]
1. the act of competing; rivalry for supremacy, a prize, etc.: The competition between the two teams was bitter.
2. a contest for some prize, honor, or advantage: Both girls entered the competition.
3. the rivalry offered by a competitor: The small merchant gets powerful competition from the chain stores.
4. a competitor or competitors: What is your competition offering?
5. Sociol.rivalry between two or more persons or groups for an object desired in common, usually resulting in a victor and a loser but not necessarily involving the destruction of the latter.
6. Ecol.the struggle among organisms, both of the same and of different species, for food, space, and other vital requirements.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.