Pronunciation: (kong"gri-gā'shun), [key]
1. an assembly of persons brought together for common religious worship.
2. the act of congregating or the state of being congregated.
3. a gathered or assembled body; assemblage.
4. an organization formed for the purpose of providing for worship of God, for religious education, and for other church activities; a local church society.
5. the people of Israel. Ex. 12:3,6; Lev. 4:13.
6. New Testament.the Christian church in general.
7. Rom. Cath. Ch.
a. a committee of cardinals or other ecclesiastics.
b. a community of men or women, either with or without vows, observing a common rule.
8. (at English universities) the general assembly of the doctors, fellows, etc.
9. (in colonial North America) a parish, town, plantation, or other settlement.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.