Pronunciation: (kon'si-kwens", -kwuns), [key]
1. the effect, result, or outcome of something occurring earlier: The accident was the consequence of reckless driving.
2. an act or instance of following something as an effect, result, or outcome.
3. the conclusion reached by a line of reasoning; inference.
4. importance or significance: a matter of no consequence.
5. importance in rank or position; distinction: a man of great consequence in art.
6. in consequence, consequently; as a result; hence: He withdrew from the world, and in consequence was forgotten.
7. in consequence of, as a result of; on account of: A trial was held in consequence of the investigation.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.