—v.kun-strOO' or, esp. Brit., kon'strOO;
—n.kon'strOO), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/construe.html on line 87 [key]
—v., -strued, -stru•ing,
1. to give the meaning or intention of; explain; interpret.
2. to deduce by inference or interpretation; infer: He construed her intentions from her gestures.
3. to translate, esp. orally.
4. to analyze the syntax of; to rehearse the applicable grammatical rules of: to construe a sentence.
5. to arrange or combine (words, phrases, etc.) syntactically.
to admit of grammatical analysis or interpretation.
1. the act of construing.
2. something that is construed.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.