Pronunciation: (krOOn), [key]
1. to sing or hum in a soft, soothing voice: to croon to a baby.
2. to sing in an evenly modulated, slightly exaggerated manner: Popular singers began crooning in the 1930s.
3. to utter a low murmuring sound.
4. Scot. and North Eng.
a. to bellow; low.
b. to lament; mourn.
1. to sing (a song) in a crooning manner.
2. to lull by singing or humming to in a soft, soothing voice: to croon a child to sleep.
the act or sound of crooning.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.