Pronunciation: (kroun), [key]
1. any of various types of headgear worn by a monarch as a symbol of sovereignty, often made of precious metal and ornamented with valuable gems.
2. a similar ornamental headgear worn by a person designated king or queen in a pageant, contest, etc.
3. an ornamental wreath or circlet for the head, conferred by the ancients as a mark of victory, athletic or military distinction, etc.
4. the distinction that comes from a great achievement.
5. the power or dominion of a sovereign.
6. (often cap.) the sovereign as head of the state, or the supreme governing power of a state under a monarchical government.
7. any crownlike emblem or design, as in a heraldic crest.
8. the top or highest part of anything, as of a hat or a mountain.
9. the top of the head: Jack fell down and broke his crown.
a. the part of a tooth that is covered by enamel. See diag. under tooth.
b. an artificial substitute, as of gold or porcelain, for the crown of a tooth.
11. the highest point of any construction of convex section or outline, as an arch, vault, deck, or road.
12. the highest or most nearly perfect state of anything.
13. an exalting or chief attribute.
14. the acme or supreme source of honor, excellence, beauty, etc.
15. something having the form of a crown, as the corona of a flower.
a. the leaves and living branches of a tree.
b. the point at which the root of a seed plant joins the stem.
c. a circle of appendages on the throat of the corolla; corona.
17. the crest, as of a bird. See diag. under bird.
a. a termination of a tower consisting of a lanternlike steeple supported entirely by a number of flying buttresses.
b. any ornamental termination of a tower or turret.
19. Also called button. Horol.a knurled knob for winding a watch.
20. any of various coins bearing the figure of a crown or crowned head.
21. a former silver coin of the United Kingdom, equal to five shillings: retained in circulation equal to 25 new pence after decimalization in 1971.
22. the monetary unit of Denmark, Iceland, Norway, or Sweden: a krona or krone.
23. the koruna of Czechoslovakia.
24. a crimped metal bottle cap.
25. See crown glass.
26. Cookery.See crown roast.
27. Also called bezel, top. Jewelry.the part of a cut gem above the girdle.
28. a drill bit consisting of a metal matrix holding diamond chips.
29. Also called head. Naut.the part of an anchor at which the arms join the shank. See diag. under anchor.
a. a slight convexity given to a pulley supporting a flat belt in order to center the belt.
b. a slight convexity given to the outer faces of the teeth of two gears so that they mesh toward their centers rather than at the ends.
31. a size of printing paper, 15 × 20 in. (38 × 51 cm). Cf. double crown.
32. Naut., Mach.swallow1 (def. 12).
33. Knots.a knot made by interweaving the strands at the end of a rope, often made as the beginning of a back splice or as the first stage in tying a more elaborate knot.
34. a crownpiece.
1. to invest with a regal crown, or with regal dignity and power.
2. to place a crown or garland upon the head of.
3. to honor or reward; invest with honor, dignity, etc.
4. to be at the top or highest part of.
5. to complete worthily; bring to a successful or triumphant conclusion: The award crowned his career.
6. Informal.to hit on the top of the head: She crowned her brother with a picture book.
7. to give to (a construction) an upper surface of convex section or outline.
8. to cap (a tooth) with a false crown.
9. Checkers.to change (a checker) into a king after having safely reached the last row.
10. Knots.to form a crown on (the end of a rope).
Med.(of a baby in childbirth) to reach a stage in delivery where the largest diameter of the fetal head is emerging from the pelvic outlet.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.