Pronunciation: (dām), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/dame.html on line 71 [key]
1. (cap.) (in Britain)
a. the official title of a female member of the Order of the British Empire, equivalent to that of a knight.
b. the official title of the wife of a knight or baronet.
2. (formerly) a form of address to any woman of rank or authority.
3. a matronly woman of advanced age; matron.
4. Slang (sometimes offensive).a woman; female.
5. Eccles.a title of a nun in certain orders.
6. a mistress of a dame-school.
7. Archaic.the mistress of a household.
8. Archaic.a woman of rank or authority, esp. a female ruler.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.